Swedish Meatballs...I am Not!

Tonight's dinner consists of dishes very common in my family. My own creation of Pork Meatballs. I chanced upon this inspiration with my own liking for both meatballs and tofu - and what do you get when you mix two of the loveliest ingredients together? Tofu Crumble Meatballs.

 

This is my own speciality with the filling being nice and juicy, while the skin remains nice and firm. Interested in whipping this dish up for your family and friends as an appetizing party snack or a main dish? Here's the recipe :

 

Tofu Crumble Meatballs

 

- 250grams Minced Meat (Pork)

- 1 piece 150grams Egg Tofu

- 1 egg

- 2 tablespoons of light soy sauce

- Ground White Pepper

- 5 tablespoons fresh milk

- 1 teaspoon of white sesame oil

- 1 sprig Spring Onions, sliced finely

- Salt

- 2 tablespoons Cornstarch

- Cooking Oil

 

1. Place the Minced Meat in a bowl, rub with the pinch of salt and rinse the salt off with water. Dispose of water thereafter.

2. Mash the egg tofu into crumbly pieces using a fork and put it in with the Minced Meat.

3. Add in the egg, light soy sauce, 2 dash Ground White Pepper, the milk, sesame oil and the spring onions.

4. Mix thoroughly with a fork. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt for taste.

5. Meanwhile, heat pan and drizzle with cooking oil - quantity enough for frying (approximately 4 tablespoons)

6. After mixing, add in the 2 tablespoons of Cornstarch and mix again.

7. Form meatball shapes using 1 tablespoon of filling each.

8. Fry the meatballs in oil - adding oil if there isn't enough.

9. Cook each side for approximately 3-4 minutes - browning the meatballs. While cooking, cover pan with lid.

10. Serve hot!

 

Chef's note : I added milk in this meatball recipe to create a nice soft texture on the inside of the meatballs. This came about after experimenting with various liquids and milk tended to soften the meat. Otherwise, the meatballs will turn out dry and rough. If you like a very smooth filling, add about another 2 tablespoons of milk. However, don't add too much milk as it will make the mix watery and difficult to handle.

 

DSCF9485

Sembawang MRT Station Ananas Cafe Sambal Sotong

 

Apart from my serving of meatballs, mum came home with Sambal Sotong from Ananas, Cafe located at the Sembawang MRT Station. I don't know how often they serve it but if they do, you should try it once in a while.

 

I found the sotong (cured squid) crunchy and sweet and the rempah (mixed spiced paste) was hearty and tasty, though I must add that it is a bit too salty for my own liking. If you don't mind the added saltiness, the dish itself is very good, so head down if you feel like it - it goes very well with plain rice.

 

Price : $3.00

Rating : 3/5

Dish Name : Sambal Sotong (the stall varies the dishes as it is a Nasi Padang stall, so this dish is only available at times)

Venue : Ananas Cafe (Located at Sembawang MRT Station)

 

DSCF9503

Simple Stir-fry Beijing Cabbage

 

I love my vegetables, and I insist on them at almost every meal. Decidedly since I already had two meat dishes on the menu, I checked what I had in the fridge and found the nice head of Beijing Cabbage. Using only half of it, it was quickly chopped and with two clove garlic (smashed and chopped), the dish was created with a stir fry of the garlic, vegetables, oyster sauce and a dash of pepper.

 

Now its your turn to try!

Till then =)

4 comments:

At June 12, 2008 at 11:18 PM ZhaoZhen(: said...

WHAT A SPECIAL DINNER YOU HAD!~HAHA!~WOW!I hope i can have it!IT LOOKS DELICIOUS!~`~ ^_^ [=

 
At August 11, 2008 at 5:33 PM Anonymous said...

I am not one for cooking but after seeing your recipes I feel like trying!!!!!! the tofu meatballs looks yum!

I can only fry rice......

 
At August 13, 2008 at 7:59 PM Anonymous said...

is it possible to substitute soyamilk for milk and tofu for egg tofu?

 
At August 14, 2008 at 2:35 AM Justin D. Pereira said...

you can substitute the egg tofu with tofu, the tofu is there to add to the softness. However, I am not sure about the soyamilk but you can try it. Tell us how it turned out!

 

Post a Comment