DSCF5301 

Butter and Sugar Thosai

Honestly, I have lived in the Northern part of Singapore for almost 10 years and never once did I discover and savour the excellent Roti Pratas and Thosais served at D’ Rubinah Restaurant.

Well, my conquest to discovery was nothing but a mere chance that after a magnificent dinner at Aston’s Specialties, I wanted to have dessert which was cheap yet good. Looking past the all popular Japanese Sweet Shop “Ministry of Food”, and the usual Kopitiam, my buddies and I went scouting the area around Sembawang Shopping Centre.

I don’t know how much we can eat but that sudden urge for Roti Pratas started to emerge. I have often noticed D’ Rubinah Restaurant and I do know they serve Pratas and Thosais, but never did I imagine it would be that good and almost comparable to the masters of the dish located in Little India and various parts of Singapore.

The order of Butter and Sugar Thosai proved that pancakes do go well with Indian spices and dips, Asian Style. I particularly enjoyed the crispy portions of the Thosai and once the butter and sugar kicked in, together with the all savoury Dahl, mmmm – Fabulous.

Butter and Sugar Thosai : $1.50 per pc     Rating : 4/5

DSCF5297

Paper Thosai – Extremely Crispy and Fragrant

Now the Paper Thosai and its cousin the Roti Tissue are perhaps some of the more newly created varieties. Once again, I have noticed the emergence of these two types of servings but I have yet to try them out until now (Gawd…what have I been missing out in life!).

So for me, the freshman at trying out Paper Thosai and Roti Tissue, I must say both of them were very good. Perhaps I merely bought it out of sheer fancy, but it is without doubt bound to raise a solid discussion over the table on how one could use them as Party Hats – only edible.

The Paper Thosai is just like any other ordinary Thosai except with it being very very very very crispy. Did I say “very” 4 or 5 times? I don’t know how other places serve it but for my first time, this is one dish that deserves a 4 out of 5.

Paper Thosai : $2.50     Rating : 4/5

DSCF5309

Roti Tissue – Sweet, Crispy, Delectable

Roti Tissue, as the name suggest is made from Tissues. Just joking. But the normal prata dough (or maybe it is even some sort of secret recipe) has been stretch to its limits that it is almost translucent. Without doubt it is crispy, but the more surprising factor comes from the sweet drizzle of honey/corn syrup all over it.

Once again pair it with your dish of fish curry and I am sure you are bound to say, “Sugar and Spice is Everything Nice”

Roti Tissue : $2.50    Rating : 3.5/5

DSCF5310

Freshly Made Garlic Naan

I seldom go after Nuns Naans as the ones I have found (maybe I am just unlucky) are usually premade and cold. What impressed me for the Garlic Naan served here is that the moment the dish arrived at our table, the fragrant whiff of warm garlic tingled our noses.

The presentation of the Naan being toasted a lovely brown only served to make my mouth water even more! Mmmmm, I am tingling with excitement!

However, I must add that the dips accompanied are not really spicy enough – so please, a little more spice in my life? Please?

Garlic Naan : $2.50      Rating : 3.5/5

 DSCF5292

Milo Dinosaur – Rawr!     

Now come on, which journey to your local coffeeshop will be complete without the traditional Milo Dinosaur. For all out there who are still living in the Dinosaur era or have yet to discover this little concoction, Milo Dinosaur is as the name suggest Milo (a chocolate drink) served iced and with Milo Powder heaped generously on the top.

Hmmm, but I do wonder why my Milo Dinosaur had that little hint of ginger sweetness…

DSCF5329

All in all, D Rubinah Restaurant is certainly one place you won’t want to miss out if you are in the Northern/Sembawang Area. I know there are the more famous ones such as Prata King and its competitors located around the Thomson Area, but hey if you have the craving for good Indian food, why not try out D Rubinah’s

Nearest Landmark : Sembawang Shopping Centre. Restaurant is located next to Caltex Petrol Station.

0 comments:

Post a Comment